Veggie SNAPS Program Assistant Position
Open March 1, 2017 Filled April 10, 2017
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
POSITION TYPE: PT, Temporary, Hourly, Seasonal
ABOUT VEGGIE SNAPS:
The purpose of Veggie SNAPS is to provide the low-income customers in central Ohio who are eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (“SNAP”) with matching dollars to shop for healthy fruits and vegetables at local farmers’ markets.
These financial incentives have benefits to shoppers and growers alike. They allow low-income customers the opportunity to purchase the healthy, locally-grown ingredients that had previously been cost-prohibitive. Additionally, increased sales to new customers also make both growers and farmers’ markets more economically viable.
With the generous support of Franklin County and the City of Columbus, Veggie SNAPS launched in July 2014 in six central Ohio farmers’ markets in Bexley, Clintonville, Columbus Public Health, Franklin Park Conservatory, Franklinton, and Pearl Alley downtown. Since then, our footprint has grown to add 11 new markets and farm stands in Franklin, Fayette, and Licking counties.
Veggie SNAPS currently seeks a Project Assistant to join the leadership team by supporting the onsite needs of participating farmers’ market and the Program Manager. This position is designed as flexible resource to strengthen the on-site experience of market managers and customers. Ideally the Project Assistant will work approximately 10 flexible hours per week April – October. This work primarily includes, but is not limited to:
- Supporting the Market Managers’ communication and promotion of the program on-site to customers and vendors. This requires traveling to one or more of the participating market locations each week; specific schedule to be set with Program Manager.
- Engaging with Veggie SNAPs users to promote and evaluate the program.
- Assisting with Veggie SNAPs token tracking and reimbursement system.
- Working with the Program Manager to develop effective tools that support the promotion of the program throughout the season and into the future.
The omission of specific duties listed here does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
CHARACTERISTICS and QUALIFICATIONS:
Veggie SNAPS will consider hiring a Project Assistant with the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; compassionate and friendly; ability to interact effectively with a variety of team members and members of the public
- Excellent computer and technical skills
- Positive problem-solving approach
- Capacity to excel in a team environment or independently
- Ability to adapt to highly diverse situations
- Openness to feedback, willingness to take personal responsibility for tasks, and an ability to learn from one’s mistakes
- Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for farmers’ markets, local food and farm initiatives, and healthy food access efforts
The Veggie SNAPS Project Assistant must have:
- a phone
- reliable transportation and a valid OH driver’s license
- the ability to lift 50 pounds
- the ability stand/walk around at the markets for 2-3 hours with minimal opportunities to sit down
- the ability and desire to work outside in all weather conditions
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Program Manager Rachel Tayse, email@example.com. No phone calls please. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Position will be open until filled. Ideal start date: April 15, 2017.